Jan 1, 2010

Whose coming with me (Tyler)!

I have been thinking about hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail since I first heard of it, in mid 2008. The toughest part about attempting somthing like this is finding someone to join you. After posting on the local hiking club forum, reaching out to some friends and family I didn't have much more than a "well....let me see if I can get the time off work" from anyone. Then a phone call to Zach brought my dream to fruition in December 2009.

This was an excerpt from my posting on HikeArizona.com looking for someone to join me...

I would encourage any interested party to ask themselves a couple questions:
1. Can I hike 10-15 miles a day for 12-13 consecutive days?
2. (most important) Can I vanish from the state of Arizona for over 2 weeks without losing my job/wife/girlfriend etc...?
3. How will I feel down the road if I miss out on an amazing opportunity like this?!?!?!

Now, if you answered the questions favorably, start doing some homework and keep asking yourself the above questions. I can't do it alone.


The Tahoe Rim Trail is a 165 (give or take a couple miles depending on your source) loop that circumnavigates Lake Tahoe. The trail is fairly new in the realm of larger thru hiking trails. The Tahoe Rim Trail Association was established in 1981 to plan, construct and maintain the Tahoe Rim Trail, a 24-inch wide, 165 mile single track trail open to hiking, equestrians and mountian biking (in most areas). The trail encompasses the ridge tops of the Lake Tahoe Basin, crossing six counties, and two states. Another huge draw to me, and a major factor in choosing this hike, is that for approximately 50 miles it shares the same piece of dirt as the Pacific Crest Trail.

No comments: